Apr 11, 2016

Inspiration from the Runway!

Several months ago I found this image of a coat that I found very intriguing.  I loved the positioning of the stripes and the leather trim.  I saved the image so that someday I could create something similar.


That day finally came when I came across a free pair of men's shorts at a clothing exchange while camping last summer.  Now, you may wonder what a pair of men's shorts have to do with the striped coat, but it does fit into the story.  The pinstriped shorts just happened to be the same color of blue as a couple of men's shirts that I had.  I figured I could make the shorts into a skirt, and the shirts into the coat.  And, that's what I did!


Now I know that my creation is not an exact replica of the original, it was never meant to be, especially since we're refashioning here.  But it does have a similar feel.


Besides the two shirts, I used some faux suede that I picked up a while back at a thrift store.


I opted for buttons (from my stash) instead of snaps.


I kept the original sleeve detail and added a couple of buttons for fun.


I wanted a little more length than the two shirts allowed, so I added a band of the faux suede to the hemline, unlike the original.


After the collar and pocket were removed, and the shirt body was cut in half, the top of the shirt became the top of the coat, and the bottom half of the shirt became the bottom of the coat.  A section was cut from the second shirt and added to the middle.


The shorts were too large to take in from the sides if I wanted to keep the front and back pockets in intact.  Instead, I took them in from the front and back, which worked out well since I was eliminating the crotch seam anyway to make the skirt.  However, this adjustment made it necessary to reinsert the front zipper, but also allowed me to put a kick pleat in the back of the skirt.  If you're unfamiliar with sewing a kick pleat, Threads Magazine has a great how-to.  You can click on the image below to see the tutorial.



A close-up of the kick pleat.



  

Although I originally planned for this skirt and coat to be worn together, I think my favorite look is the coat with skinny jeans. 



I almost forgot...I also lined the coat.


What do you think...better with the skirt or the jeans?

I like to link to these great parties!


 

29 comments:

  1. I love this coat and haven't seen anything like it before, it looks good with both jeans and skirt. The shoulder size is usually a problem with men's shirts but as a coat you need that extra shoulder width - genius. It looks crisp and professional with the lining and if the faux suede can be washed how brilliant to just be able to machine wash it. One of the best refashions I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent interpretation of the runway - you are so talented. I like the jacket with the skirt but I love it with jeans. Very inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH ! I love it. Le colors are very nice together : leatehr and dark blue !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. What a great and resourceful refashion. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're incredibly talented! My favorite is the coat with the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say YES YES YES to the coat with the skinny jeans!!!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic refashion - I like your version better than the original! And I love it with both the skirt & the jeans. I bet it would be cute over a dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I'm flattered that you like it better than the original! And, you're right, I think it would look good with a dress also....another project maybe?

      Delete
  8. I agree with Mary I. Your version is much, much better. I think both looks are adorable, but that skirt you created.....I have to say I love it with that better. Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! As I said to Mary, I'm especially flattered that you like it better than the original. I'm glad that you were inspired!

      Delete
  9. That is sooooo cool. Wow I am always amazed by what you do. I love both looks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fantastic. Thanks for the info on refashioning a pair of shorts into a skirt

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the others--coat looks great with both. I may be a little partial to the skinny jeans, for its casual elegance.

    But I have to say, I've been following your blog for some time now and am constantly amazed and impressed by your creativity and skills. Makes me wish I was your neighbor, so some could rub off on me! :-)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura for the compliment! I happen to live next door to a pretty creative neighbor, so if anything, she probably rubs off on me!

      Delete
  12. Yes, the coat looks so good with the skinny jeans, Susan!!! And no one would ever guess the skirt was once a pair of shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like yours much better, especially with the added bottom trim!
    It looks really good with the coordinated skirt.
    It looks fabulous with the skinny jeans!
    You are so creatively talented. 8-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan