Jun 29, 2014

My Sewing Studio: The Blue Hutch



After painting the walls and installing the flooring, next on the agenda was sprucing up a hutch I had picked up a few years ago in anticipation of having a dedicated sewing studio.  This hutch was sturdy, but definitely dated.  I actually liked the gold colored glass inserts in the cupboard doors, though, believing they would eventually play into my future color scheme.


It was so heavy I knew I would never get it upstairs in one piece, so I took it apart and went to work prepping for paint.


The cupboards were all decked out with this "lovely" contact paper!  I removed the contact paper and hardware, then sanded and primed everything.


I picked up a gallon of "oops" paint from the local hardware store.  It wasn't the aqua that I wanted, but I thought it would do.  The gentleman at the paint counter was kind enough to add a bit more tinting to try and get it more to my liking.  In the end, I went back to the hardware store and picked up another gallon of "oops" paint.  This time it was the aqua that I wanted.  Of course, I had already painted the whole hutch and wasn't too excited about painting it again (there was a lot of areas to paint!)  So, I figured I would continue with the rest of the projects in the room and then determine if my hutch would get a color change or not. 


I was lucky enough to find a roll of contact paper at a thrift store that fit into my new color scheme!  The little storage containers with drawers came from my previously organized office and fit perfectly.  I painted all the hardware with the Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.


I organized, and accessorized my hutch with a variety of thrifted jars, a basket, and vintage suitcases.  The jars were "recycled" from my aforementioned office space.  As luck would have it, I found one jar that was the same colored glass as the cupboard door inserts.  It sits in the middle of the jars.  The suitcases I already had on hand.  In fact, one of them was used to hold cards at my son and daughter-in-law's wedding reception.  The lower cupboards are filled with stacks of fabric.

In the end, my lack of motivation (hey, let's be honest!) to repaint the hutch won out, although I like to think it was a stroke of decorator's luck.  I ended up painting some of the furniture pieces blue, and some pieces aqua, and then interspersed them throughout the room.  I think it adds to the eclectic feel, keeping it from being too matchy matchy.

Total cost for this project:

Used Hutch.....$20.00
Gallon of "Oops" Paint.....$15.00
Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint....left over from the curtain rods
Thrifted Contact Paper.....$1.00

I like to link to these great parties!



4 comments:

  1. We must be soul sisters or something. I LOVE the color of this hutch. Such a huge improvement to it's former self! As a matter of fact, the first painting project in my new studio is an old church pew that I'm painting.........you guessed it....... TURQUOISE!!! Can't wait for you to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait to see the church pew ( I LOVE old church pews and have always wanted one!) Plus, the fact that your sewing studio has the room for a pew...I'm green with you know what! Okay, this reply really sounds like I'm coveting everything you have. : ) Quite the contrary. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see the new studio. I wish we lived closer. I would love to go thrifting with you and help you pick out and transform fun things for your studio. Have fun soul sister!

      Delete
  2. what a great find!that turned out fantastic!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! When I saw this a couple of years ago for $20, I called my husband to see if he would mind if I picked it up for a future sewing/craft room. Normally I don't check in, but this beast was going to take up a lot of space. He was a dear and consented. It lived in the garage for those two years and housed several greasy and grimy tools. I think its much happier now in my sewing studio!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan